Tuesday 10 September 2013

The Ancestors' Geneameme

Another genie meme, Jill Ball's idea this time: http://geniaus.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/ancestors-geneameme.html

Things you have already done or found: bold face type
Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

You are encouraged to add extra comments in brackets after each item 

Which of these apply to you?
  1.  Can name my 16 great-great-grandparents
  2.  Can name over 50 direct ancestors
  3.  Have photographs or portraits of my 8 great-grandparents (6 of the 8. Working on the other 2)
  4.  Have an ancestor who was married more than three times (one ancestor had at least 4 partners, but  was only married to 2 of them. Not all at the same time, either, thank goodness)
  5.  Have an ancestor who was a bigamist (if you count being married to someone while living for 30  years with someone else, then yes. Also a father & son who both committed bigamy, 
  6.  Met all four of my grandparents (I was very lucky to know them all. I was 17 when the first one died,  so I had lots of years to form memories of these beautiful people)
  7.  Met one or more of my great-grandparents (technically yes. My last great grandparent, Rosanna  KING (1890 - 1970), died when I  was 16 months old, so I'm sure I would've been held by her, but I just  can't remember it. Just phoned my Mum & she confirmed that I'd met her)
  8.  Named a child after an ancestor (my elder daughter is Kate, named after my mother Kathryn, & my  sister, Katrina, who was also named after our mum. My younger daughter's middle name is Maree, after  my middle name, & therefore my aunty's name)
  9.  Bear an ancestor's given name/s (my aunty is Marea, & my middle name is Maree)
  10.  Have an ancestor from Great Britain or Ireland (all of them! I'm as Caucasian as they come. Except  for my Roman toes http://janellestree.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/roman-toes.html)
  11.  Have an ancestor from Asia
  12.  Have an ancestor from Continental Europe
  13.  Have an ancestor from Africa
  14.  Have an ancestor who was an agricultural labourer
  15.  Have an ancestor who had large land holdings (Henry TUCK (1810 - 1890) had 640 acres granted to  him on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. There are still descendants living on some of the land today,  although I don't know if it's still the full 640 acres)
  16.  Have an ancestor who was a holy man - minister, priest, rabbi (my uncle, Edward Maxwell COLLINS  is a St John of God Brother. My great-uncle's nephew by marriage is The Most Reverend Philip WILSON -  Catholic Archbishop of Adelaide. On my husband's side his many times great uncle was Reverend William  Marcus DILL MACKY. He makes searching for the MACKY family in Trove a bit tricky because he officiated at  so many marriages and his name is mentioned a lot in the marriage notices)
  17.  Have an ancestor who was a midwife (not any ancestors, but my sister is)
  18.  Have an ancestor who was an author (Catherine FALVEY (1813 - 1894) wrote poetry, and one of her  sons Henry TUCK (1845 – 1930) also wrote poetry and I have a copy of his book of poems:  http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/45366593)
  19.  Have an ancestor with the surname Smith, Murphy or Jones (not in my tree, but my husband's  grandmother was Maria Skillen SMITH (1916 - 2006) )
  20.  Have an ancestor with the surname Wong, Kim, Suzuki or Ng
  21.  Have an ancestor with a surname beginning with X
  22.  Have an ancestor with a forename beginning with Z
  23.  Have an ancestor born on 25th December (none that I can find)
  24.  Have an ancestor born on New Year's Day 3
  25.  Have blue blood in your family lines (nope, just red)
  26.  Have a parent who was born in a country different from my country of birth
  27.  Have a grandparent who was born in a country different from my country of birth
  28.  Can trace a direct family line back to the eighteenth century (all of them)
  29.  Can trace a direct family line back to the seventeenth century or earlier (a couple of lines)
  30.  Have seen copies of the signatures of some of my great-grandparents (3 of the 8)
  31.  Have ancestors who signed their marriage certificate with an X (the most recent was Ada  MORRANT who married William Joshua BARRETT at St Silas Church, Waterloo, Sydney in 1883)
  32.  Have a grandparent or earlier ancestor who went to university (not that I know of)
  33.  Have an ancestor who was convicted of a criminal offence (4 convicts in my tree, & a few who  probably did a few naughty things in their time)
  34.  Have an ancestor who was a victim of crime (a few had things stolen from them, at least one had a  bigamous husband, and undoubtedly other stuff that Trove hasn't revealed to me yet, if ever)
  35.  Have shared an ancestor's story online or in a magazine (Tell us where) Yes, my ancestor's stories  are earlier in this blog. Also, my ancestor Esther SALAMON/SPENCER/FITZ/STUBBS/BIGGE's story  was included in a book, as well as a photographic exhibition at the Museum of Sydney in April 2013. I've  blogged about all of these events in the last two years.
  36.  Have published a family history online or in print (Details  please) http://janellestree.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/our-new-book-has-arrived.html This is the link to my  blog post about the publication of our book called Convicts Down Under, featuring the stories of seven  convicts.
  37.  Have visited an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries (Yes, the land that was owned  by the CRUCKSHANK family near Uralla, NSW. The house was long gone, sadly)
  38.  Still have an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries in the family (the land granted to  Henry TUCK, mentioned in #15)
  39.  Have a family bible from the 19th Century (There is a TUCK family bible that of course I would  love to  own. It's current custodian is another family member, presumably in Victoria. I'm currently on the  trail of  finding out who has it so I can get some photos of it. I know the first marriage in it has a bogus date - a  mystery I'm still solving)
  40.  Have a pre-19th century family bible (I wish!!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Janelle, for this response. I enjoyed reading about your ancestors.

    I've added it to the list of responses at
    http://geniaus.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/ancestors-geneameme-responses.html

    ReplyDelete